Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jason_ensinger
    Participant

After my WordPress site exploded while trying to add tabs directly to the Buddypress plugin, I decided the most efficient way of integration into Buddypress is by customizing two other WordPress/Buddypress plugins:

This method is least likely to break in future versions of Buddypress and will require the least amount of direct modification to the Buddypress plugin itself; just a minor adjustment to the layout in which profile fields are displayed to get rid of the two table row format and replace it with a heading above the field below to open the entire width of the profile to the field. This method, though a bit more of a kludge than a new WordPress plugin, is going to be the easiest for me to develop because quite frankly, I don’t know how to do that, and I don’t need to because it’s my website. I’m not exactly trying to share my innovations, but I will anyway.

In return, I want help to determine the best practices for including the Gmedia plugin classes and methods. Also I would like help in determining which classes and methods to use to implement the functionality outlined below.

<b>Audio Library Editor</b>
    An Audio Library Editor field will perform basically the same functionality as Gmedia’s Library Audio tab, but will aso include a single upload input to upload or update the media file. Media files will be listed like the Gmedia Library, with custom styles to match the site theme and moving the edit/upload form below the list. This will be displayed by a single Buddypress custom field type field editor. This method supports custom group tab and field names by adding them through the WordPress Administration Panel>Users>Profile Fields. Upon Profile group and field configuration, members will be able to update their audio library by editing their Buddypress Profile and selecting the assigned profile field group to display the editor.

In summary, I need to know the classes and methods to call to perform the functions below:

• Retrieve an array of media information for audio files with matching tags in the format of “Member – <i>username</>”.
    • Upload and insert audio file information.

• Update audio file information.
    • Insert/Update an audio gallery filtered to audio files matching tags in the format of “Member – <i>username</i> and a name to match.

<b>Member Audio Library</b>
    Utilizing the Gmedia shortcode should make this fairly simple to implement within the customized Buddypress Custom Profile Fields plugin. With that, the audio gallery will be displayed by clicking on a member’s Buddypress profile tab with the label configured on the WordPress Administration Panel>Users>Profile Fields page.

<b>Image Library Editor</b>
    An Image Library Editor field will perform basically the same functionality as Gmedia’s Library Image tab, but will aso include a single upload input to upload or update the media file. Media files will be listed like the Gmedia Library, with custom styles to match the site theme and moving the edit/upload form below the list. This will be displayed by a single Buddypress custom field type field editor. This method supports custom group tab and field names by adding them through the WordPress Administration Panel>Users>Profile Fields. Upon Profile group and field configuration, members will be able to update their audio library by editing their Buddypress Profile and selecting the assigned profile field group to display the editor.

In summary, I need to know the classes and methods to call to perform the functions below:

• Retrieve an array of media information for image files with matching tags in the format of “Member – <i>username</>”.
    • Upload and insert image file information.

• Update image file information.
    • Insert/Update an audio gallery filtered to image files matching tags in the format of “Member – <i>username</i> and a name to match.

<b>Member Image Library</b>
    Utilizing the Gmedia shortcode should make this fairly simple to implement within the customized Buddypress Custom Profile Fields plugin. With that, the image gallery will be displayed by clicking on a member’s Buddypress profile tab with the label configured on the WordPress Administration Panel>Users>Profile Fields page.

<b>Video Library Editor</b>
    A Video Library Editor field will perform basically the same functionality as Gmedia’s Library video tab, but will aso include a single upload input to upload or update the media file. Media files will be listed like the Gmedia Library, with custom styles to match the site theme and moving the edit/upload form below the list. This will be displayed by a single Buddypress custom field type field editor. This method supports custom group tab and field names by adding them through the WordPress Administration Panel>Users>Profile Fields. Upon Profile group and field configuration, members will be able to update their audio library by editing their Buddypress Profile and selecting the assigned profile field group to display the editor.

• Retrieve an array of media information for video files with matching tags in the format of “Member – <i>username</>”.
    • Upload and insert video file information.

• Update video file information.
    • Insert/Update a video gallery filtered to image files matching tags in the format of “Member – <i>username</i> and a name to match.

<b>Member Video Library</b>
    Utilizing the Gmedia shortcode should make this fairly simple to implement within the customized Buddypress Custom Profile Fields plugin. With that, the video gallery will be displayed by clicking on a member’s Buddypress profile tab with the label configured on the WordPress Administration Panel>Users>Profile Fields page.

Again, <b>I would like a developer or someone familiar with the project to help point to the best practices for including the Gmedia plugin files and which classes and methods to use for the functions listed in each feature’s description.</b> Thank you!

jason_ensinger
    Participant

Also, will it easily possible to alter to have multiple data entries for a media files on a per member basis?

Apologies if I am being spoiled asking for which methods to be looking to. The .NET Framework is my preferred development platform and am quite spoiled by it. I’m used to being able to jump into a big project just by using the Visual Studio Object Browser to find my way around. Digging through dozens of files thousands of lines of code is a nightmare for me, LOL. Please help tell me where to find these methods I need to implement the functionality I need.

jason_ensinger
    Participant

This seems to be coming along fairly easily. Don’t worry about pointing me to the classes and methods needed. I’ll point to them myself when I’m finished for reference purposes. I’ll update the thread if I’m speaking too soon and end up needing help. Thanks for the great plugin!

jason_ensinger
    Participant

Easy until I realize there are no video modules, LOL. Please tell me that is coming soon. I already have all three libraries integrated, so it should just be a matter of changing the module name when that is implemented to enable the video library.

As for the convenient list of methods, I guess there isn’t any. I’ll just upload my work for a reference when I get it all cleaned up and some more testing done. I mostly just copied the code from the admin folder files, simplified and cleaned it up for blending in with the theme on the front end.

Rattus
    Keymaster

Making video module is in my todo list #2 after adding some more stability and improvements in plugin, which was almost fully rewrited.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Requests and Feedback’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum closed. Use forum at Wordpress.org: Gmedia Support Forum