Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    GaryWP
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for the nice plug in. I am just having one show stopper issue.

The gallery takes about 1 second per image to preload before displaying the gallery. Using Affflux on a local PC that’s pretty quick.

The images are small jpgs that should load up instantly. Other slide show plugins don’t have this issue on my PC.

This is a big deal because I want to use this for an ecommerce site that will display many photos – at 1 second per photo to preload the plugin….its a no go.

I hope I am missing something basic. I just kind of played with it till I got some galleries created and working – didn’t categorize anything or create any queries.

What can I do to overcome the slow loading?

Thanks!

Rattus
    Keymaster

If you mean progress bar when gallery loading first time, then don’t worry it is only once for creating thumbnails.

GaryWP
    Participant

Hi Rattus,

Yes, I am talking about the progress bar. But it appears EVERY time I open the page. Its not only once.

And as I said, if I had say 30 images – it would take 30 seconds roughly before the user saw anything. Most people will not hang around that long – even once.

Why does the progress bar take so long to load such small files? Is everyone experiencing this same long load time?

Rattus
    Keymaster

If it appears every time then gallery can’t create thumbnails for this gallery and tries every time you load the page.
    It is not load small files, but tries to create small files from big images and save on the server. If thumbnails already created then you’ll never see progress bar (unless you’ll add new images or change thumbnails size in gallery settings).
    Post a link to your gallery page.
    The reason of your problem could be that ‘/wp-content/grand-media/’ folder and subfolders haven’t write permission or some of your server settings restrict access to php script that creates thumbnails.

GaryWP
    Participant

OK I will check permissions and post back, thanks. I am not sure a link will do you any good since I am running this off my local PC as I learn WP before updating my live (old HTML) site with WordPress. Will post back!

GaryWP
    Participant

Please see attached jpg which shows that the thumbnails all exist in the link folder, along with the main images and also the main images are in the Image folder, and they were created several ours ago.

Also, I granted all permissions to all entities for the C:\Users\Gary PC\Documents\My Web Sites\wordpress\wp-content\grand-media folder and subfolders.

Still stymied…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Rattus
    Keymaster

Did you tried clear browser cache?

GaryWP
    Participant

Woot! That did it.

I had to also exit the browser and start it again, just clearing the cache alone din’t quit get it (although the Mimima style was ok after the 1st clear).

By the time I was done I had cleared the cache (picked the “from the beginning of time” option, started and stopped WP twice via my WebMatrix. Npw botj Minima and Afflux have no progress bar.

Anyway that looks much better, I am back on track. Many thanks!

schwingep
    Participant

what should the write permissions be for the folder?
    Currently it’s 755 for me.
    No thumbnails

Thanks.

schwingep
    Participant

actually nevermind – I was looking in the image in the image directory, not the link dir.
    My Bad!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Gmedia Gallery WordPress Plugin’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum closed. Use forum at Wordpress.org: Gmedia Support Forum